The Snowball Effect

Our first ‘real’ project was our master bedroom. Up until this point we had only painted the living and dining rooms, no major renovations.

We thought it only needed some plaster patching, fresh coat of paint and carpet to come later on. Boy was Tim wrong…

We started by trying to pull up the carpet to see if a brilliant wood floor hid beneath. Well… the base board came off with the carpet, the plaster walls came off with the base board, and all of a sudden our couple day paint job turned into a room renovation.

We kept peeling back the layers until we were left with this:

IMG_3637

Stripped to the bare bones only to find the floor was in horrible shape with a slope. The original wood floors were too far gone, thousands (yes, thousands!) of nail holes, water damage, splintering, and an old exterior wall still protruding through the floor (insert the hole you see above with the wall removed).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Before the design, we had to fix the gaping hole, patch and paint the walls, install the barn wood trim, install the carpet, and bring the electrical up to code.

My curtains inspired the feel for the room. I found these Tommy Hilfiger curtains with red and blue stripes. Shout out to T.J. Maxx for being one of my favorite spots for home decor.

20180618_2148062

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We featured a red accent wall,”Gum Ball” and the remaining walls in a light neutral, “Cool Concrete” from Pittsburgh Paints at Menards. With our barn wood trim, recovered from a local barn, we were looking for a greige carpet to tie it all together. We ended up finding the perfect sized remnant at an additional 20% off the price!

We up-cycled the window above our bed and Tim built custom nightstands from pallet wood. Our bed itself is from Ashley Furniture and the duvet cover is from IKEA.

Lessons learned: don’t buy cheaper colored paint. Splurge and get the good stuff, it took over 5 coats of the red to cover a white wall.

Our first room tackled and we still love it!

And so it begins
Lambeau supervising while the trim removal process started.
IMG_3576
Patching the plaster
IMG_3938
Carpet and trim installed!
Finished result!